A Quick Guide To Audiophile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A Quick Guide To Audiophile

And for the most part I agree, the price is redonkulous, Being a the official sponsor doesn't automatically make them good, (However they were still highly rated and selling before that, and when I say rated I mean by actual audiophiles, outside the gaming community)

AD700: Stereo (That eliminates it for my gaming)
    AD900:Stereo, Eliminated, HOWEVER not for music, that baby sings with music!!!!
    MKV tube Amp: Tubes, Big plus, No TosLink, which is inconvenient for all the cords that I have..lol

G35 vs AT-AD700, AD700 no doubt for me, Way better frequency response, analog (ugh USB, don't get me started lol )

" 5.1/7.1 fake headsets"
    I believe that is a reference to stereo headsets that attempt simulated surround soundwith just to drivers..... that s**t sucks.

Astro's are ACTUAL 7.1, the first thing I did when I got my headset was benchmark it's surround sound capabilities, very impressed, low THD, great freq response, closed ear, etc

And what Bose are you listening to?!?! MY set is amazing (got them kinda cheap too)... but Harmon Kardon is easily the most beautiful audio company I've ever heard! Got their speakers on my laptop

P.S. to anyone who is here looking for advice, here's my biggest advice. STAY AWAY FROM SKULL CANDY.Now THATS a gimmick. That is all. Lol

Comment

Yes, headphones are stereo :P That's just what headphones are, stereo with quality and no gimmick.(And yes, Skullcandy IS a gimmick)

Tube amps are GREAT, the only issue Ive had with my MKV is due to design (solid state vs tube), if I'm trying to listen to say, downloaded music that isnt at least 256Kb/s or higher, you can definitely tell :S With a tube amp, I wouldnt have as much issue (Sold out when I tried getting the Littledot tube)

Harmon Kardon is actually a personal favorite home theater brand As far as Bose headphones, take a look at their offerings, $180 for a crap pair where $95 Senn HD555's can take glory on? lol

As far as you mentioning Astros being 7.1, they are simulated 7.1 if you weren't aware, using Dolby. You can get that with ANY headphones as far as "surround", that includes A900's, AD900's, DT880's, DT990's, SR80's, doesnt matter. If you are stuck using those crappy Creative sound cards, yea, its crap. But go Auzentech or ASUS Essence cards, you get Dolby 5.1/7.1 anyway to simulate it the same exact way as Astro simulates the software technology.

@Victory, if using on pc, stay away from Turtle Beach then. Using on console I can understand the use of Turtle Beach, Astro, Tritton, etc. due to the limitations of the consoles.
      Last edited by sobe; 10-21-2011, 10:08 AM.
      <3 my PMS girl Archeai

Comment

<3 Harmon Kardon

I'll respond the same way I always respond to the "simulated" surround question:

How many ears do you have? Two, right? So it is at least theoretically possible to achieve perfect surround sound with just two drivers...the main problem is getting the HRTF right (and, more problematically, the fact that the HRTF is different from person to person).

I've found, though, that the Dolby Headphone technology quite accurately produces five discrete channels, which I can easily "judge" the position of. The only issue you find is that those channels aren't always distributed quite as they should be, based on your own HRTF.There are no true surround sound headset, true, however, the simulated surround on my Astro's are VERY convincing, I actually saw a set (not Astros) with dedicated drivers somewhere online, gotta find that link again sometime..

And I don't use the headphones from Bose, only speakers.

All in all it is of my opinion that Astro's while overpriced , are a great headset.
        Last edited by Char2000; 10-21-2011, 12:19 PM.

Comment

It's all good Char, you seem to have an understanding at least when it comes to this stuff, instead of the blindly yelling out, "NO ITS 7.1!!!! MY ASTRO BOX SAYS SO AND SO DO MY FRIENDS"

I am honestly open to things such as discussions regarding this All I'm really getting at, is you pay the $250 for the A40's, alright, no prob. I can pay a flat $100 for HD555's or pay lower for the AD700's to get that exact same simulated surround via Dolby Headphone, and the sound coming from these headphones, sounds better (not in regard to positional audio, that is already achieved through the same software that Astro utilizes).

In all honesty though, I'm glad you are happy with your Astros I don't care if someone is happy with a $10 Logitech headset, so long as it suits them. I just have an issue against the rants and raves that come from users that strictly use said gaming headsets saying they are the best when they have yet to listen to good headphones that arent sold in stores(they are sold in audiophile stores though and normally stores for DJ's, etc.).. :S
          <3 my PMS girl Archeai

Comment

Originally posted by H2O sobe View Post
            It's all good Char, you seem to have an understanding at least when it comes to this stuff, instead of the blindly yelling out, "NO ITS 7.1!!!! MY ASTRO BOX SAYS SO AND SO DO MY FRIENDS"

I am honestly open to things such as discussions regarding this All I'm really getting at, is you pay the $250 for the A40's, alright, no prob. I can pay a flat $100 for HD555's or pay lower for the AD700's to get that exact same simulated surround via Dolby Headphone, and the sound coming from these headphones, sounds better (not in regard to positional audio, that is already achieved through the same software that Astro utilizes).

In all honesty though, I'm glad you are happy with your Astros I don't care if someone is happy with a $10 Logitech headset, so long as it suits them. I just have an issue against the rants and raves that come from users that strictly use said gaming headsets saying they are the best when they have yet to listen to good headphones that arent sold in stores(they are sold in audiophile stores though and normally stores for DJ's, etc.).. :S
            I am surprised someone disliked this thread lol. Seems they can't handle the truth.

Comment

Don't look at me lol

Comment

Originally posted by Char2000 View Post
                Don't look at me lol
                lol

Comment

I think someone who bought a pair of those Creative Fatal1ty headsets after seeing CGS use them as a sponsor is pretty pissed at your OP :O lol
                  <3 my PMS girl Archeai

Comment

Originally posted by H2O sobe View Post
                    I think someone who bought a pair of those Creative Fatal1ty headsets after seeing CGS use them as a sponsor is pretty pissed at your OP :O lol
                    Or those Sound Blaster Tactic 3D Alpha OMFG THX 7. OMFG 1 RAWRR!!

Comment

Just saw this thread and thought I should post. I have a Logitech G930 and I have to say it is by far the best headset I have ever owned for gaming! The sounds of Tank rounds going off and the sounds of guns are amazing! It really brings out what I think is the true sound of what Battlefield should sound like! I also have logitech's z2300 2.1 speakers and the sound on those is insane.

My System Specifications:OPERATING SYSTEM:WINDOWS 7 64-BIT ULTIMATE CPU TYPE:INTEL(R) CORE(TM) I5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHZ CPU SPEED (GHZ): 3.4GHZ SYSTEM MEMORY (GB):8 GRAPHICS CARD MODEL:RADEON HD 5850 DESKTOP RESOLUTION:5040X1050

Comment

Working...
                      X