Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on a new gaming rig

As the title suggests

Its been quite a while since I built a wholley new PC for myself, for the past few years I have been relegated to repairing aging PC's belonging to others. Thing is I am tired of the limitations of my laptop, it has an Intel GPU for christs sake lol.

It will probably be based around an Intel i7 CPU, with a ton of RAM and a small-ish SSD (I have an 1TB fileserver thats no-where near full and easily added to anyway). Its the graphics I am worried about.

What are the better graphics cards these days? I dont want to spend like £400 on just the graphics, but it has to drive eve-online and maybe starcraft 2 at on a 1080p screen, preferably with audio over HDMI. Suggestions?

Also could I set it to go into a sort of half-standby mode, running just enough to make it pretend to be a PVR without having to power all the stuff I wont need when only watching TV, like the GPU (I wont need to watch tv through the pc just use it to record shows as the pc will be hooked up to my tv anyway).

I would rather have a nVidia graphics card, I just have more experiance with them running under linux, but I am flexible if theres a major reason to switch.

Cheers
    Thanks to H2O DreamEater for the awesome sig
    Much love to esgeeone PMS and PMS Retribution

Re: Advice on a new gaming rig

20 nm~

Comment

Wait till the end of Feb to build one. The P67 chipset motherboards are all being recalled due to a faulty SATA2 controller.

If you want versatility get a 5xx series nVidia card. Though the 6xx series is rumoured to come out in December, they area vast improvement over older cards. Much better on temperature, quietness, and power consumption.

Comment

Originally posted by H2O Raiden View Post
        Wait till the end of Feb to build one. The P67 chipset motherboards are all being recalled due to a faulty SATA2 contoller.
        Thanks, I was actually looking at a bundle including that very mobo, along with the new i7 2600whaterver jobby and 6jigabits of ram. I am looking at saving till april at least anyway so exact models are irrelevent atm, I am just looking for ballpark figures.
        Thanks to H2O DreamEater for the awesome sig
        Much love to esgeeone PMS and PMS Retribution

Comment

The new P67 boards will be out at the end of February/Early March. So if you build it in April, you'll be in the clear.

Comment

i got an nvidia gtx 285, works like a charm. only better card i know of is the 295. and dont go overboard on your ram, unless you enjoy making your pc into an overkill machine like i do. any more than 6 gigs is a waste of money.

Headshots like photography, say cheese!

Comment

Mineral oil cooled pc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptufu...layer_embedded

or this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKmLu...layer_embedded

Comment

Originally posted by Aladdin View Post
                20 nm~

Amazing Video!!! I like it alot.