Destiny Offline Base Game: Worth It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Destiny Offline Base Game: Worth It?

Hoping you folks can help answer a conundrum!

So, I have an Xbox 360 and let my XBL Gold lapse a while back. I used to be part of PMS / H2O Halo AU, and when I saw the initial footage of Destiny I felt, "This looks more of the same." Then the reviews came out calling it good but not great, so I decided to put my cash elsewhere (and resisted the urge to mope when old friends posted screenies / raved about experiences).

A few weeks back, I saw a used copy of Destiny for the 360 for AU$16 and was tempted, but decided not to go ahead. Then, a few days ago, I went and listened to Miracle of Sound's "Cataclysm" and, as his songs often do, got fired up to play the game. To try and talk myself out of the idea, I went to track some reviews of Destiny down.

Well, that didn't work out quite as planned.

Still, AU$180 for the Legendary Edition and a year's Live Gold is out of my budget (I might be able to cover LE in a few months, once Christmas is out of the way) but I am tempted by the talk of the latest patches updating the gameplay / RPG systems.

So can anyone tell me, do the year of changes make the basic, no-expansions Destiny, played offline, worth getting?
    Last edited by SlamDance; 10-10-2015, 01:23 AM.

Re: Destiny Offline Base Game: Worth It?

NO. don't do it if you can't play online!

Vanilla version of this game will have 99% of the stuff blocked off. The story for destiny is very meh, but the part that makes it really fun is the online matchmaking for pve and pvp.

*H2O HugsNKisses* *H2O Mad Dog*
    Rabbit | Canadian | MightyGunz | Mercy | Reikura | Ratchet
    Trouble Makers: Ironhide , Snowbunnie , Techno , Clovir
    ​​​​​​

Comment

Thanks, Callisto. So at least, Destiny plus Gold, with extras later?

Comment

I will have to agree with calisto 100% on this because when the game initially came out i had gold but nobody to play with because of schedual not matching up it made the game very boring and unplayable so much so i stopped playing for 6 months because i had beating everything in a day and a half

Comment

Thanks, Deuces. How often were you playing? At the moment Destiny solo will probably be an occasional burst in the middle of other priorities, unless I wind up getting back together with a heap of my Halo mates. It might take me a while longer to plough through everything.

Also, do you know how the current experience post-patches compares to the game at launch?
          Last edited by SlamDance; 10-10-2015, 03:03 AM.

Comment

I also agree with the opinions above. What makes Destiny enjoyable for me is the online activities. The group activities either with friends or just with random people are very enjoyable. As Callisto said the game is focused on co-op activities and gameplay. You can play on your own (with gold) but I normally become bored and only play for an hour or two.
            Last edited by H2O Craigievar; 10-10-2015, 09:59 AM.

"Come on, you dumb apes! If you want breakfast, you gotta catch it!" - Sgt Johnson
            "Send me out... with a bang." - Sgt Johnson

Comment

Thanks, Craigievar.

From what I've been reading about how The Taken King somehow invalidates the first Season Pass, it's looking like saving my cash for the Legendary Edition is the better move anyway. Plus, one of our main variety store chains is selling it for AU$88.00 instead of AU$99.00.

Comment

if you do ever get it feel free to add me (even if you don't you can still add haha) I play a lot on destiny and it's always fun helping people level!

I usually play with the other dweebs that commented on this post haha

*H2O HugsNKisses* *H2O Mad Dog*
                Rabbit | Canadian | MightyGunz | Mercy | Reikura | Ratchet
                Trouble Makers: Ironhide , Snowbunnie , Techno , Clovir
                ​​​​​​

Comment

considering i had shingles at the time so i couldnt go anywhere and had to stay in my apartment and was in too much pain to sleep i played non stop for days

the new dlc is actually what got me back in to playing it the storing goes more in depth then it did i wish dinklage was still the ghost but everything as a whole is a lot better than what it was

Comment

Callisto your the only dweeb here, to quote Nicholas Fraser "Why You Always Lying" :P

Originally posted by Callisto H2O View Post
                    if you do ever get it feel free to add me (even if you don't you can still add haha) I play a lot on destiny and it's always fun helping people level!

I usually play with the other dweebs that commented on this post haha

Comment

Potential setback: I only just discovered today that Xbox Ones and Xbox 360s don't talk to each other across Xbox Live. So, if I want to play with the folks I used to Halo with back in the day, I'd need an XBOne as they've all upgraded already.

And as I'm on a fun-money budget of a little under AU$15 / week, this is looking a bit out of my range for now.

Arrrrrgh.

How about you lasses / chaps? Are any of you still playing on the 360?

Comment

I weakened.

Comment

Working...
                        X